Has it really been almost a month since my last real blog post? I keep trying out all these new meals and thinking how perfect they’d be for the blog. Problem is, when I come up with these, I’m usually just grabbing stuff from my kitchen, throwing it together, and hoping it works. Only after I’ve finished eating and the Instagram comments “blog or it didn’t happen” start rolling in I realize I didn’t write anything down or snap any other photos. Oops.
Everyone seemed to really enjoy and like the concept behind make ahead breakfasts, so why not keep the people happy? These are undoubtedly my favorite ones yet. I’ve made three batches so far and still love them! They’ve also been a great crowd pleaser with my friends. It’s great to have a variety of options; ready to go whenever I have guests visiting for the weekend! Let me know if you all try these out and making any changes!
What you’ll need: ¾ cup sugar, 1/3 cup EVOO, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 2 mashed bananas, 2 medium shredded zucchinis, 1 ½ cups flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, and chocolate chips to top.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin tin with either liners or cooking spray. I definitely recommend using liners. They make for an easier clean up all around. Plus, when you try to eat the muffins you won’t have to worry about getting chocolate all over yourself. Combine sugar, EVOO, brown sugar, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients together. Mash the bananas and add to the bowl. I find using a the bottle a large glass works best. Shred zucchinis and squeeze out a good majority of the water. It’s really important you make sure your zucchini is finely grated. Nobody wants to put into a delicious muffin only to grab a hunk of zucchini. Ew. A cheese cloth works best to squeeze the zucchini. I’ve used them plenty of times in my cooking labs at school, but I don’t actually own any myself. I just use a couple of paper towels, cover the shredded zucchini, and squeeze over the sink. Your paper towel will turn a cool green color as green juices run out. Remove your paper towel, slowly peeling off, and dump your ball of zucchini shreds into your bowl. Don’t worry about the little zucchini that gets left behind. It won’t make a difference whatsoever.
Add flour and baking powder to your bowl and combine. Transfer your finished batter to your muffin tins, filling each cup approximately ¾ full. Sprinkle with chocolate chips if you desire, place in the oven, and bake for 18 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before trying to dig in. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup EVOO
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of your choosing)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 bananas, mashed well
- 2 medium sized zucchinis, shredded and squeezed
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- Optional: sprinkle of chocolate chips on each muffin
- Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare muffin tin with liners or cooking spray.
- Add granulated sugar, EVOO, brown sugar, almond
- milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to large bowl, whisking to combine.
- Mash bananas, add to large bowl and continue
- Shred zucchini. Place on cheesecloth and squeeze
- tightly to drain water. Substitute many paper towels if you don’t have a cheesecloth. Add squeezed zucchini to bowl and
- Add flour and baking powder to bowl and combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, filling each cup
- approximately ¾ full. Sprinkle chocolate
- chips on top.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and allow
- to cool for 10 minutes.